Monday 5 March 2012

Patchwork essentials

What is a girl to do with another glorious spring day?  Go shopping for more craft materials of course!


Today has been such a lovely day and also time I invested in the right tools for my latest patchwork project.  After reading many blogs and watching many tutorials online I quickly realised that my previous patchwork projects were missing a rotary cutter and a cutting mat.  So why are they so important you ask?

For my very first patchwork I chose to work using a hexagon pattern which didn't need precise cutting for each piece of fabric as this involved cutting rough square pieces from material and then hand sewing this around paper templates.



However, for my second blanket I chose to use square pattern pieces and to machine stitch them.  At the time, I measured and cut each piece using scissors.  This was doable and not particularly problematic, but I found when I then came to put my pieces together that the precision wasn't quite right, and often my square pieces didn't match up (don't tell my mother-in-law to be!).  The joys of quilting meant that this wasn't greatly noticeable.  As with all things craft, it is personal choice which I love and it doesn't need to be an exact science, but my own preferance would be the rotary cutter as this aids measurement and cutting, and ensures a tidy finish when you eventually sew your quilt pieces together.

So, today's shopping haul includes, a cutting mat and a rotary cutter - success!  And also other materials for my next 'making' project coming soon...but can you guess what it might be?


No comments:

Post a Comment